This Overview Report from the Physical Activity Council, (PAC), is produced by a partnership of eight of the major trade associations in US sports, fitness, and leisure industries. Each partner produces more detailed reports on their specific areas of interest, but this Overview Report summarizes “topline” data about levels of activity in the US. The overall aim of this report is to establish levels of activity and identify key trends in sports, fitness, and recreation participation in the US. For more detailed results, please contact the relevant partner listed below.
During the 2015 calendar year, a total of 32,658 online interviews were carried out with a nationwide sample of individuals and households from the US Online Panel of over one million people operated by IPSOS/Synovate. A total of 15,167 individual and 17,491 household surveys were completed. The total panel is maintained to be representative of the US population for people ages six and older. Over sampling of ethnic groups took place to boost responses from typically under responding groups.
The 2015 participation survey sample size of 32,658 completed interviews provides a high degree of statistical accuracy. All surveys are subject to some level of standard error -that is, the degree to which the results might differ from those obtained by a complete census of every person in the US. A sport with a participation rate of five percent has a confidence interval of plus or minus 0.24 percentage points a the 95 percent confidence level.
A weighting technique was used to balance the data to reflect the total US population ages six and above. The following variables were used: gender, age, income, household size, region, population density, and panel join date. The total population figure used was 294,141,894 people ages six and older.
“Inactivity” is defined to include those participants who reported no physical activity in 2015 and an additional 18 sports/fitness activities that require minimal to no physical exertion.
Data reported for “winter sports” are based on seasons: 2010 year is 2009/2010 season, 2011 year is 2010/2011 season, 2012 year is 2011/2012 season, 2013 year is 2012/2013 season, 2014 year is 2013/2014 season, and 2015 year is 2014/2015 season.
If you have specific questions regarding the methodology, please contact Sports Marketing Surveys USA at firstname.lastname@example.org (561) 427-0647.
The Physical Activity Council is made up of the following industry leading organizations:
- GOLF: The National Golf Foundation (NGF) p: 561.744.6006 e: email@example.com
- SNOWSPORTS: The Snowsports Industries America (SIA) p: 703.556.9020 e: SIAmail@snowsports.org
- OUTDOOR : The Outdoor Foundation (OF) p: 202.271-3511 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TENNIS: The Tennis Industry Association (TIA) and United States Tennis Association (USTA) p: 866.686.3036 e: email@example.com
- CLUB/INSTITUTIONAL FITNESS: International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association (IHRSA) p: 617.951.0155 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TEAM SPORTS / INDIVIDUAL SPORTS / GENERAL FITNESS / WATERSPORTS: The Sports and Fitness Industry Association (SFIA) p: 301.495.6321 e: email@example.com and USA Football p: (317) 489-4417 web: www.usafootball.com